Starting a new business is a large undertaking. Fortunately, there are numerous excellent resources online and at your fingertips. Fort Wayne SCORE has compiled the following resources that we think will be valuable for anyone running or starting a business.
INTERNET REFERRAL SOURCES
- Does more than raise $. It builds community around your work.
- People working together to bring new things to life.
- 73 Kickstart projects have been funded successfully funded near Ft. Wayne
- 6.8 million have a backed a project
- Lean Canvas part of Leanstack.
- Has a one-page business model.
- Takes under 20 minutes to create.
- Great tool for start-ups.
- Business plan guide, business planning & capital raising products.
- How to raise $ from venture capitalists, angel investors, grants, loans, etc.
- Fast, flexible business line of credit - $500 to $100,000
- # 1 online provider of business loans.
- Business services, forming, license & permits, corporate changes & filings, business compliance.
- Sign up for Google, easy to build websites, customized domain name
- Alternative lending organization. Provides the credits & training a business needs to grow. $500 to $50,000 – 2 to 72 months
- Crowdfunding – largest global crowdfunding platform
- Demographics, data, population, racial breakdown, income, educational & housing. Important info when preparing business plans
- Crowdfunding Northeast Indiana. Large # of people (the crowd) fund small amount of money (funds) to accumulate into an investment large enough to finance a project
- Free easy way to create a unique website, blog or online store
- Website design services, email marketing, local search profile, social media marketing, business e-mail, premium business cards, etc
- Purchase a business or franchise with retirement funds.
- 401K/IRA rollover funding, offer SBA loans, equipment leasing, merchant cash advances, securities backed lines of credit, small business loans for women
- Creation of social media, design, marketing & multimedia professionals.
- A division of KPC Media Group
- # 1 website builder with a free domain name, professional design, layouts, click editing, etc.
- Incorporation, LLC’s, business licenses, employer ID number, bylaws, required filings, etc.
- Provides assessments and programs to shape accents for better communication skills, learn to speak more effectively, enhance company image, improve communication skills
- Crowdfunding for NE Indiana. Indiana-based resource created by NE Ind entrepreneurs.
- Grow sales faster with the World’s #1 CRM app.
- Online CRM software, email marketing and lead generations.
- Transform marketing and sales results with marketing automation, territory optimization, mobile learning, configure price quotes, et al
- Create effective sales compensation plans and save time on plan administration.
- Increase sales, better business visibility, save time on administrative tasks
- Corporate direct selling association. Nat’l trade association of the leading firms of manufacturing and distribution of goods and services sold directly to consumers.
- National association of sales professionals which is comprised of dynamic men and women who are committed to advancing their careers & financial security by participation in our community.
- The 21st Century Fund is a direct investment program that targets high potential, high growth businesses in the state by offering financing at $1,000,000 or higher.
FACT SHEET OF AGENCIES
423-4433 Better Business Bureau, 4011 Parnell,
Marjorie Stephens, Pres./CEO
BBB’s mission is to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust. BBB ensures that high standards for trust are set and maintained. We exist so consumers and businesses alike have an unbiased source to guide them on matters of trust. We provide educational information and expert advice that is free of charge and easily accessible.
437-6596 Black Chamber of Commerce, 1832 Paulding Rd., John Dortch, Pres.
423-3546 Community Action of Northeast Indiana (CANI), 227 E. Washington Blvd.
Evan Neubacher X 250 CANI makes small business loans available for aspiring individuals that are looking to rebuild their credit and are planning to start a business. In order to access the loan funds, these individuals must participate in business training and credit education. In addition, CANI has a loan program for existing business owners who qualify and can provide evidence for a need to expand and grow their business.
427-1127 Community Development Corp., 200 E. Berry, Suite 320,
Cheryl Blackman, Ex. Director
The CDC’s primary objective is to promote the growth and development of small commercial and industrial businesses in the Fort Wayne area and a nine-county area in northeast Indiana through creative business loan programs.
.420-6945 Greater Fort Wayne, Inc., 200 E Main St., Suite 800,
This organization represents the voice of business and economic development for Fort Wayne, Allen County and Northeast Indiana. Our mission is to serve as the primary advocate for commerce and business within the Greater Northeast Indiana region by providing solutions and services for business that ensure our members have what they need to flourish.
422-2304 Fort Wayne Urban Enterprise Center, 1830 Wayne Trace,
Gina Kosteff, Director
The Fort Wayne Enterprise Center is a small business incubator which can provide manufacturing, research and development and office space. The center is located in a 4 square mile zone which is a target area for physical revitalization, job creation and improvements in social and economic conditions. Residents and qualified businesses receive several tax benefits to encourage the stabilization of the zone and reinvestment in the zone.
422-6697 Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, P O Box 11852,
Palermo Galindo, Director
The Greater Fort Wayne Hispanic Chamber of Commerce was created in 1989 as a way for local Hispanic business owners to network and problem solve.
407-6442 N.E. Indiana Innovation Ctr., 3201 Stellhorn Rd.,
Mike Fritch, Entrepreneur in residence, Gulya Alexander, Client Relations Manager
260-407-6442 Main Office www.niic.net or 260-407-1754
The Innovation Center is a non-profit, community-based resource center that catalyzes the growth and development of technology-based companies in Northeast Indiana, thereby diversifying, improving, and growing the region's economy and enhancing our community's vitality.
469-3471 Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership, 200 E Main, Suite 910
John Sampson, President & CEO
An investor-based organization that supports northeast Indiana economic development throughout Northeast Indiana. We are dedicated to assisting in your search for northeast Indiana business expansion opportunities, available land and more.
481-0491 Partners in Contracting Corp., 4312 Hobson Road, Suite B, F.G.
“Gil” Perry or Bill Pishkur
PICC is procurement technical assistance center assisting Indiana companies with all aspects of marketing to the federal and state governments.
481-0500 Small Business Development Ctr., 4312 Hobson Rd., Suite A,
Jane Rich, Director
The Indiana Small Business Development Center (ISBDC) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to have a positive and measurable impact on the formation, growth, and sustainability of small businesses in Indiana and to develop a strong entrepreneurial community.Offers individual consulting, business planning, market research, workshops. Economic development assistance.
426-5431 Veteran’s Admin. Benefit Info. 2121 Lake Ave.,
Paul Bobish, Ext. 7-1327
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise “To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan” by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s veterans.
449-7861 Allen County Ind. Dept of Veterans’ Affairs, City-County Bldg., One E Main St., Room 106,
436-3878 XCELHR Professional Employers Organization, 1102 Chestnut Hills Parkway, Suite 101,
Recruiting and staffing solutions
Assistance (Note: There are many good attorneys and CPAs. Those listed here are just a few suggestions of where to start looking.)
484-4426 Accountancy help--Jack Dever, SCORE Member
Allen County Bar Legal line
Every Tuesday of the month from 5-7 p.m - Free advice Lawyer referral consultation: $30/half hour
421-1216 Allen County Public Library Business Dept. – Mark Wendt, Mgr. Business Science & Technology
421-1206 Allen County Public Library Non-Profit – Marilyn Fauth
436-5285 Business help -- John Dickmeyer
422-3436 Business law help--John Williams, SCORE Member
426-9706 Business law – Joshua A. Burkhardt, Attorney
½ hour free legal advice to SCORE clients (Note: You need to fill out the New Business Evaluation form available in the SCORE office prior to calling.)
490-2860 Financial (accounting & analytical), ATM & Company, 9422 Lima Rd., John Rondot CPA, one free consulting session (1/2 hour)
423-9411 Intellectual property -- Jacque Wilson, Patent Attorney with Carson Boxberger
½ hour free general counsel to SCORE clients
481-6505 IPFW Library – 2101 E. Coliseum Blvd., Judith Violette, Director
449-7567 Selling to Allen County government
427-1101 Selling to city of Fort Wayne government
Local Control Groups
449-7607 Allen County Planning and Zoning: 200 E. Berry St., Suite 150, Kimberly Bowman, Ex. Director
449-7607 Land Use and Zoning (Fort Wayne)
449-7607 Permits for Building Trades in Allen Co.
427-1129 Permits for Building Trades in Fort Wayne
449-7123 Allen County Assessor’s Office, 1 E. Main St., Suite 415, Stacy O’Day, Assessor
The Office of the Allen County Assessor is responsible for accurately and uniformly determining the market-value-in-use of every property in the county
427-2445 Vendor Compliance Office, 200 E Berry, Suite 490, Kelly Lunberg, Director
Directory of minority and women owned businesses
449-7561 County Health Dept. 200 E Berry St. Suite 360, Mindy Waldron, Director
The mission of the Allen County Health Department is to protect and improve the health of all Allen County citizens. This office issues permits for grocery, restaurant, vendor, 3 Rivers Festival. Also pollution control: wells, septic, lead and water quality.
436-5663 Indiana Dept. of Revenue, 1415 Magnavox Way, Suite 100
The Department of Revenue is responsible for providing service to Indiana citizens regarding state tax matters. Additionally, the Department administers state tax laws, develops regulations and makes decisions about tax policy. Sales Tax, Tax Returns and Application form to apply for a merchant’s license.
449-7165 Recorder’s Office, 1 E. Main Room 100, John McGauley, Recorder
The County Recorder's function is to maintain permanent public records involving a wide variety of instruments. These documents detail transactions involving real estate, business names, mining, personal property, mortgages, liens, leases, subdivision plats, military discharges, personal bonds, etc.
311 Right of Way Dept.
449-7157 Small Claims Court: 113 W. Berry – Available Judge
In Indiana, the Small Claims Division of the Superior Court hears claims limited to $3,000 or less. ($6,000 in Marion and Allen Counties).
422-3700 U.S. Dept. of Labor – Wage and Hour Division: Fed. Bldg., 1300 W. Harrison St.
The Department of Labor fosters and promotes the welfare of the job seekers, wage earners, and retirees of the United States by improving their working conditions, advancing their opportunities for profitable employment, protecting their retirement and health care benefits, helping employers find workers, strengthening free collective bargaining, and tracking changes in employment, prices, and other national economic measurements.
745-3555 WorkOne (Indiana Work Force Development & Job Works), 201 E. Rudisill, Suite 102
WorkOne helps people find a new or better job, choose a career, find a good employee, access training, or get the information needed to succeed in today's ever-evolving workplace.
Out of the Area Agencies
1-888-633-4472 Contracting opportunities with GSA (Federal Government) (910-795-1474)
F.G. “Gil” Perry, Counselor-Trainer, 4312 Hobson Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46815-4507, 260-481-0491,firstname.lastname@example.org Bill Pishkur, Counselor-Trainer, 5209 Hohman Ave., Hammond, IN 46320, 219-750-1200 X208, email@example.com.
1-800-FED-INFO Federal Information Center (1-800-333-4636)
1-877-FRANNET FranNet, The Franchise Connection, 10302 Brookridge Village Blvd. Suite 201, Louisville, KY 40291 or Jim Gleason, Gen. Mgr., 8520 Allison Pointe Blvd., Suite 220, Indianapolis, IN 46250 317-850-8851, Toll Free: 800-856-3683
1-800-45-STATE Indiana State Information Center (Click on Quick links and then Businesses for business resources)
1-800-829-3676 IRS Forms Hotline Website: gttp://irs.ustreas.gov
1-800-829-4933 IRS Telephone Assistance for Businesses
1-800-829-4933 IRS –Employer Identification Number
1-877-777-4778 IRS Taxpayer Advocate
1-800-232-6273 National Association for the Self-Employed, DFW Airport, P.O. Box 6122067, Dallas, TX 75261-2067
1-800-634-0245 National SCORE office, 1175 Herndon Parkway, Suite 900, Herndon, VA 20170
www.score.org Fax: 1-202-205-7637
1-317-226-7272 SBA (Small Business Association), Gail Gesell, District Director
8500 Keystone Crossing, Suite 400, Indianapolis, IN 46204
www.sba.gov Fax: 1-317-226-7259
1-800-827-5722 SBA Answer Desk
1-317-232-6581 Secretary of State, Business Division, 302 W. Washington, Room E018, Indianapolis, IN 46204
The Business Services Division administers all business-related responsibilities for the Secretary of State including the chartering of new businesses, the filing of commercial liens, and the issuance of trademarks, notaries public and summonses.
1-317-232-6531 Secretary of State, 200 W. Washington, Room 201, Indianapolis, IN 46204
Incorporation--$90 for For-Profit businesses, $30 for Not-for-Profit businesses, Forms available atwww.sos.in.govor by FAX at 1-800-726-8000. Also recording business name, structure, taxes, etc)
1-800-233-8701 Security of Loan Broker Fraud Hot Line (Secretary of State)
1-800-786-9199 US Patents & Trademarks Office
The USPTO’s mission is to foster innovation and competitiveness by providing high quality and timely examination of patent and trademark applications and guiding domestic and international intellectual property policy
1-202-707-5959 US Copyright Office
The Copyright office is involved in promoting progress of the arts and protection for the works of authors.
1-800-824-COMP Worker’s Compensation, 402 W. Washington St., Room W196, Indianapolis, IN
46204, Local Switchboard 1-317-232-3808
Economic Development Officials in Northeast Indiana:
Regional Chamber of NE IN: Vince Buchanan
NE IN Regional Partnership: Dale Buuck, John Sampson, Katy Silliman
IN ED Corp.: Linda Fortner, Brook Steed
Great Fort Wayne, Inc.: Scott Naltner, Ashley Steenman
Tim Ehlerding: Wells County
Keith Gillenwater: LaGrange Co.
Bill Konyha: Wabash Co.
Larry Macklin: Adams Co.
Ken McCrory: DeKalb Co.
Rick Sherck: Noble Co.
Alan Tio: Whitley Co.
Mark Wickersham: Huntington Co.
110 W. Berry St, Suite LL101, Fort Wayne, IN 46802 260-422-2601